The Admissions Committee carefully reviews an applicant's combined academic and professional background. No single component of the application is weighed more heavily than other components. However, the Committee will evaluate each application with an eye toward the applicant's writing and analytical skills. Consideration of your application includes:
- Academic background- undergraduate transcripts, academic recommendations, and scores from the graduate school entrance exam of choice.
- Completion of the program prerequisites- introductory statistics, microeconomics and United States national government.
- Professional experience- work experience, internships, professional recommendations, and volunteer or community service activities.
- Evaluation of your Statement of Purpose- letter of intent, entrance essay. The Admissions Committee will also use this document to assess your writing skills.
Application Due Date:
All MPP program application materials must be completed by the priority deadline of February 15 to be eligible for MPP scholarships.
Applications can still be submitted after February 15; however, if an application is submitted after the priority deadline, applicants will not be eligible for MPP scholarships. Applications must be submited by:
- March 30 for international applicants.
- June 30 for domestic applicants.
Contact the Program Manager to request approval of late documents. An additional fee of $30.00 will be charged for late submissions.
To be considered for admission to the MPP program you must submit an online application to University of Utah's Graduate School as well as the MPP program. Your application, with the required materials, must be submitted by the specified due date.
If you have questions, meet with the MPP Graduate Assistant or Program Manager. Please email or call to schedule an appointment. Our phone number is 801-585-7834.
Plan to complete the program prerequisite courses (FAQs). These courses must be completed at the undergraduate level with a grade “C” or better in the last 10 years. You may be admitted to the program before completing these requirements; however, you may not enroll in the program until these courses are satisfactorily completed. Prerequisite courses are:
- U.S. National Government - A sample course at the University of Utah would be POLS 1100
- Applied Statistics - Sample courses at The University of Utah are FCS 3210; SOC 3112, ECON 3640, POLS 3001 and PSYCH 3000 - we cannot accept 1000 level math classes for the statistics prerequisite
- Introductory Microeconomics - A sample course at The University of Utah would be ECON 2010
University of Utah's course information can be found in the Course Catalog.
If you are accepted into a joint program (e.g. MPP/JD) some prerequisites may automatically be waived. Please consult the Program Manger for more information.
- Application fee: The fee for domestic applicants is $55 and $65 for international applicants.
- Statement of Purpose (letter of intent, entrance essay)
- Unofficial Transcripts from each college or university you have attended.
- Names and contact information for three people submitting letters of recommendation. These are submitted by your reference electronically through the online application system. You must start the online application to submit the names and email addresses of your reference so they can submit the letters.
- Test Scores: you will need to send your test scores directly to the University of Utah. You will also need to enter the scores in the online application system.
This is just a brief overview of required applications materials. Help strengthen your application by reviewing the Application Checklist for more detailed information.
To apply use University of Utah's Graduate School ApplyYourself.
Complete and submit University of Utah's Graduate School and MPP program applications online. During this process you will be asked to identify and choose which Graduate Program you are applying to: either MPP, MPP/MPH, JD/MPP or combined BA/BS/MPP option.
The University Admissions Office will begin processing a graduate file once it is complete. A complete University of Utah Graduate School Application consists of all the online application components. When The University of Utah Graduate School Application is complete, the admissions file is summarized by the Admissions Office and sent to the MPP Office. This can take up to four weeks.
We are here to help you successfully complete your application. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us.