The Admissions Committee carefully reviews an applicant's combined academic and professional background. No single component of the application is weighed more heavily than the other components. However, the Committee will evaluate each application with an eye toward the applicant's writing and analytical skills, both vital to success in studying public policy process and analysis at the graduate level. Consideration of your application includes:
- Academic background including undergraduate transcripts, academic recommendations, and performance on the graduate school entrance exam of choice.
- Completion of the program prerequisites: introductory statistics, microeconomics and United States national government.
- Professional experience including work experience, internships, professional recommendations, and volunteer and community service activities.
- Evaluation of the content of your Statement of Purpose (a.k.a. letter of intent, entrance essay). The Admissions Committee will also use this document to assess your writing skills. Application due date: The MPP program accepts new students for fall semester, which starts in August. All MPP program application materials must be completed by priority deadline February 15, international applicant deadline March 30, $30 late fee applies beginning April 1, domestic applicant deadline June 30. Contact the Program Director to request approval of late documents.
UNIVERSITY OF UTAH MPP APPLICATION INFORMATION
To be considered for admission to the MPP degree program you must submit one online application to the University of Utah Graduate School and the MPP program. Your application with the required application materials must be submitted by the specified due date.
Applications are submitted online through the University of Utah Graduate Admissions ApplyYourself system. Paper applications are not accepted. The system is self-explanatory and user friendly, and here are some steps and tips to help you along the way.
Before Applying -
- If possible, meet with the MPP Program Manager. Please email or call to schedule an appointment - 801-585-6492
- Plan to complete the program prerequisite courses (FAQs). These courses must be completed at the undergraduate level with a grade “C” or better in the last 10 years. You may be admitted to the program before completing these requirements. However, you may not enroll in the program until these courses are satisfactorily completed. The prerequisite courses for the MPP program are:
- U.S. National Government - sample course at The University of Utah POLS 1100
- Applied Statistics - sample courses at The University of Utah: FCS 3210; SOC 3112, ECON 3640, POLS 3001 and PSYCH 3000 - we cannot accept 1000 level math classes for the statistics prerequisite
- Introductory Microeconomics - sample course at The University of Utah ECON 2010
Please note: if you are accepted into a joint program (e.g. MPP/JD) some prerequisites may automatically be waived. Please consult the Program Director for more information. University of Utah course information can be found in the Course Catalog.
Apply to The University of Utah Graduate School.
Gather your required application materials (please see the Application Checklist for detailed instructions):
- Application fee of $55 for domestic applications and $65 for international applications, for completing the online application to the University of Utah Graduate School.
- Statement of Purpose (a.k.a. letter of intent, entrance essay)
- Unofficial Transcripts from each college or university you have attended.
- Names and contact information for three persons submitting letters of recommendation. These are submitted electronically by your reference through the online application system. You must start the online application and submit the names and email addresses of your reference so they can submit the letters.
- Test Scores Have the scores sent directly to the University of Utah. You will also need to enter the scores into the online application system.
This is just a brief overview of the applications materials. Help strengthen your application by reviewing the Application Checklist for more detailed information.
Apply now using ApplyYourself
Complete and submit the University of Utah Graduate School and program application online. During this process you will be asked to identify which Graduate Program you are applying to, and should choose the program you are applying to: either MPP, MPP/MPH, JD/MPP or Combined BA/BS/MPP option.
The University Admissions Office will begin to process a graduate file once it is complete. A complete University of Utah Graduate School Application file consists of all of the online application components. When The University of Utah Graduate School Application is complete, the admissions file is summarized by the Admissions Office staff and sent to the MPP Office. This can take up to four weeks.
We are here to help you successfully complete your application. If you have questions or need assistance, please contact us.
Apply for MPP Scholarships and Graduate Assistantships
Search the University's Scholarship Database for Scholarships and Fellowships
Search the CSBS Scholarships and Fellowships
Check out the Kem Gardner Policy Institute for Graduate Assistantships
We will notify applicants of our admission and funding decisions by April 1.